Friday Hosing

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Fri Jul 12 17:54:05 UTC 2013

On Jul 12, 2013, at 13:44 , Bryan Fields <Bryan at bryanfields.net> wrote:
> On 7/12/13 1:39 PM, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

>> Put another way, whether it was stupid or evil, the results are the same. Turning off a customer in good standing is actionable in court, and should be avoided by legitimate businesses at nearly all costs.
> You can void a contract at any time so long as you're willing to accept the
> result.

Hence the "actionable in court" phrase.

> I've seen people have their service cut off and a carrier keep their
> equipment.  Sure they will get it back, but is it worth spending 100k fighting
> them in court for three years?

Every business makes tough decisions. For instance, judging the risk/reward ratio of getting, for instance, loss of use fees, legal fees, etc., out of an opponent in a court case.

Either way, I'm interested in hearing when a company does these bad things so I can add that into the decision when considering that company. (To be clear, one person saying "they cut me off without warning" does not automatically mean I would never do business with a company. There's always another side. But I still like to collect the info when possible.)

In this case, the OP didn't mention which company it was, other than "monopole".

--
TTFN,
patrick