Friday Hosing

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Fri Jul 12 17:39:52 UTC 2013

Composed on a virtual keyboard, please forgive typos.

On Jul 12, 2013, at 13:25, nanog at namor.ca wrote:

> On Fri, 12 Jul 2013, Alain Hebert wrote:
>
>> Is it me or the bigger a corporation gets the more vindictive (a b-word
>> intended) they are to customers leaving them?
>
> "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

I prefer Heinlein's version: Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity, but don't rule out malice.

And, of course the corollary that any sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice.

Put another way, whether it was stupid or evil, the results are the same. Turning off a customer in good standing is actionable in court, and should be avoided by legitimate businesses at nearly all costs.

Not correcting the error (should it happen) when notified goes from "oops" to evil, whether intentional or not.

And yes, I've probably worked for a corporation that has done this at least once over the years. (I did work for a telco for a while. :-) Doesn't mean I can't think it was evil of "us" and work to stop it from ever happening again.

--
TTFN,
patrick