On topic of domains

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Fri Jul 12 01:53:53 UTC 2013

On 7/11/2013 11:41 AM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> If the definition of "FQDN" in some RFCs (Informational or not)
> always included the trailing dot, I'd be inclined to agree with you.
> But that's not the case, so protocol slots have been established for
> "FQDNs" that are actually domains qualified relative to the root.
> Since this ambiguity has been around since the very dawn of the DNS,
> I suspect there is little chance of re-educating everyone in the
> world about this.

I seem to recall back in the day being annoyed that some interfaces
would not allow the trailing dot.

My failing memory does not provide and example.

(A test of Firefox and a URL I had just used, modified works.
en.wikipedia.org./wiki/Server_Message_Block #)

> On Thu, Jul 11, 2013 at 11:54 AM, Chris Hills <chaz at chaz6.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 11/07/2013 15:27, Jon Mitchell wrote:
>>>
>>> After .nyc thread, thought this IAB announcement may be of
>>> interest.
>>>

>> http://www.iab.org/documents/correspondence-reports-documents/2013-2/iab-statement-dotless-domains-considered-harmful/

-Jon

--
Requiescas in pace o email           Two identifying characteristics
                                         of System Administrators: