On topic of domains

Andrew Sullivan asullivan at dyn.com
Thu Jul 11 16:41:33 UTC 2013

If the definition of "FQDN" in some RFCs (Informational or not) always
included the trailing dot, I'd be inclined to agree with you.  But that's
not the case, so protocol slots have been established for "FQDNs" that are
actually domains qualified relative to the root.  Since this ambiguity has
been around since the very dawn of the DNS, I suspect there is little
chance of re-educating everyone in the world about this.