What to expect after a cooling failure

Lorell Hathcock lorell at hathcock.org
Wed Jul 10 12:25:16 UTC 2013

Ugly.

If the batteries that were in the facility's power distribution system were
affected by the heat, then their life is likely significantly shortened.
This is in terms of their capacity to supply power in the event of an outage
and a shortened shelf life.

Lorell

On Jul 9, 2013, at 8:28 PM, "Erik Levinson" <erik.levinson at uberflip.com>
wrote:

> As some may know, yesterday 151 Front St suffered a cooling failure after
Enwave's facilities were flooded.

> One of the suites that we're in recovered quickly but the other took much
longer and some of our gear shutdown automatically due to overheating. We
shut down remotely many redundant and non-essential systems in the hotter
suite, and transferred remotely some others to the cooler suite, to ensure
that we had a minimum of all core systems running in the hotter suite. We
waited until the temperatures returned to normal, and brought everything
back online. The entire event lasted from approx 18:45 until 01:15.
Apparently ambient temperature was above 43 degrees Celcius at one point on
the cool side of cabinets in the hotter suite.

> For those who have gone through such events in the past, what can one
expect in terms of long-term impact...should we expect some premature
component failures? Does anyone have any stats to share?