.nyc - here we go...

Eric Brunner-Williams ebw at abenaki.wabanaki.net
Fri Jul 5 01:58:24 UTC 2013

> I'm reasonably sure that there are more than 50 service providers
> who are able to privide you with a connection that will do IPv6.

In this context the universe of 50 providers are registry service
providers, existing and entrant. Verisign, NeuStar, Afilias, CORE,
AusReg, ISC, ...

Your side won if you predicted in 2009, or even as late as 2011, that
there would be many many applicants, using very very few providers,
and none in awkward places. If you predicted that, you won on all
counts, v6 availability, density of available technical clue for
DNSSEC as the cheap box checks -- the real win was access to
investment capital and financial instruments, access to American or
equivalent legal and ancillary services, shared fate (still being
dickered) on insurance bundling and business continuity set-aside, the
business advantages offered by Verisign, NeuStar, Afilias, CORE,
AusReg, ISC, ...

Absent that it really doesn't matter if a light in the sky told you
that v6 was everywhere and free, or that DNSSEC was vital to
everything, and free too, or not.

I didn't predict it, so I lobbied under the assumption that very low
capitalizations would attempt to provide some locally needed name to
existing address mapping, and that signing the zone had little but
cosmetic effect unless there were resources within the zone offering a
greater return on attacker investment than any large, and unsigned
zone (and there still are some of those). I also tried to get ICANN's
attempt to provide "Applicant Support" to defer these non-essentials
for registry start-up, but that whole thing went south and the one
qualified application was disallowed because ... .ummah upset someone
who didn't care to admit it (the Support Program reviewers are
anonymous).

.museum started on a desktop. There has to be a good reason why this
can never happen again.

Eric