.nyc - here we go...

Larry Sheldon LarrySheldon at cox.net
Wed Jul 3 05:01:46 UTC 2013

On 7/2/2013 11:39 PM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 12:15 AM, Larry Sheldon <LarrySheldon at cox.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Makes me wonder if concern for routing table size is worrying about
>> the right thing.
>
> Because obviously, the problems of scaling router memory and scaling
> DNS servers are the same kind?

I would not say "same" but I would say "similar" and "related" when you
think about things like how big the cache will be and how much of the
traffic the peerages worry about will be pure overhead, and stuff like that.

> Yes, having many many new TLDs introduces new problems.  (If you're
> not scared enough, I encourage you to go read the output of the
> Variant Issues Project.  Full disclosure: I had a hand in.)  Why are
> we talking about this non-news now?  We all knew about three years
> ago, at the latest, that ICANN was planning to do this.  If we
> didn't, shame on us.

What is going to happen tomorrow is sometimes less interesting that what
is happening a while ago.

--
Requiescas in pace o email           Two identifying characteristics
                                         of System Administrators: