.nyc - here we go...

Paul Ferguson fergdawgster at gmail.com
Wed Jul 3 03:21:15 UTC 2013

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 8:12 PM, Rubens Kuhl <rubensk at gmail.com> wrote:

> process are likely to stop bad actors, at the cost of also stopping some
> good actors. Error in the side of caution preferred.

You're missing the forest....

If a new gTLD applicant decides to "capitalize" on their financial
investment once they have received approval, there is nothing stopping
them from opening the flood gates to anyone who wants to register
sub-domains/second-level domains for financial gain.

Of course, they should be allowed to do so. It's a free market.

Just look at .cc and the complete Charlie Foxtrot they caused by
allowing second-level domains to be used by anyone for any purpose
(e.g. *.co.cc, *.cu.cc, etc.) and .tk for instance.

We can expect a lot more of the same with the expansion of the TLD
space, so it *will* require a lot more diligence.

- ferg

--
"Fergie", a.k.a. Paul Ferguson
 fergdawgster(at)gmail.com