Will wholesale-only muni actually bring the boys to your yard?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Thu Jan 31 05:12:31 UTC 2013

On Jan 30, 2013, at 5:11 PM, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

> [ One of a batch of replies to today's traffic; I was busy yanking a
> 750GB drive out of the grave all day. --jra ]

You don't think some small scrappy provider using muni fiber with good
customer service couldn't come in and start collecting customers from
Road Runner? I bet they could.

Having muni fiber with an open access policy makes it pretty easy to
stand up a local ISP without a lot of up-front investment. Having a
single incumbent doesn't strike me as being particularly dangerous to
the practicality of muni fiber.

> That's pretty competitive, and already includes triple play.

Competitive by today's pathetic american standards, sure. You wouldn't
be able to find a single taker in SE, KR, or many other parts of the
developed world.

> What sort of money a build needs to make is of course largely a question
> of how good a sales job you did to your city commission, but I shouldn't
> think a small, largely residential, community is gonna make it on *just*
> businesses and geeks.

No, but most such communities, given a choice, the incumbent wouldn't
have too much difficulty losing customers to a competitor.

Owen