Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Jan 30 03:11:56 UTC 2013

I would put it differently.

I believe that the entity (muni, county, state, special district, or whatever) should
be required to make dark fiber patches available.

I believe they should be allowed to optionally provide L2 enabled services of various
forms.

I believe that they should be prohibited from engaging in L3+ services.

I believe they should be required to offer more than a MMR type facility in order to
enable cost-effective utilization by smaller providers. There are a number of ways
this can be accomplished without necessarily requiring the muni to get into anything
complicated.

Owen