switch 10G standalone TOR, core to DC

Peter Phaal peter.phaal at gmail.com
Wed Jan 30 00:18:02 UTC 2013

Peter,

Network visibility wasn't mentioned as a requirement, but it is worth
considering since the ToR switches are the best place monitor server
network I/O, tunneled traffic (VxLAN, GRE etc), storage (iSCSI, FCoE,
HDFS etc).

The Nexus 5548 switch does not include monitoring (i.e. no
NetFlow/sFlow). The Nexus 3048, along with all the other 10G ToR
switches so far mentioned on this thread, supports sFlow and provides
wire speed 10G/40G monitoring.

The following article provides additional background:

http://blog.sflow.com/2012/02/10-gigabit-ethernet.html

Cheers,
Peter