Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

Jay Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Jan 29 17:54:26 UTC 2013

----- Original Message -----
> From: "Leo Bicknell" <bicknell at ufp.org>

> I am a big proponent of muni-owned dark fiber networks. I want to
> be 100% clear about what I advocate here:
>
> - Muni-owned MMR space, fiber only, no active equipment allowed. A
> big cross connect room, where the muni-fiber ends and providers are
> all allowed to colocate their fiber term on non-discriminatory terms.

> - 4-6 strands per home, home run back to the muni-owned MMR space.
> No splitters, WDM, etc, home run glass. Terminating on an optical
> handoff inside the home.

Hmmm.  I tend to be a Layer-2-available guy, cause I think it lets smaller
players play.  Does your position (likely more deeply thought out than
mine) permit Layer 2 with Muni ONT and Ethernet handoff, as long as clients
are *also* permitted to get a Layer 1 patch to a provider in the fashion you
suggest?

(I concur with your 3-pair delivery, which makes this more practical on an
M-A-C basis, even if it might require some users to have multiple ONTs...)

Cheers,
-- jra