Looking for success stories in Qwest/Centurylink land

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Tue Jan 29 16:38:33 UTC 2013

On Tue, 29 Jan 2013 01:20:25 -0500, Rob McEwen said:

> The market will eventually sort this out... and in many cases already
> has! Meanwhile, Amtrack and the Post Office show no signs of ever making
> it without their MASSIVE taxpayer subsidies.

I can't speak to Amtrack, but a large part of the Post Office's current
difficulties is that Congress forced them to pre-fund pensions - which is
nothing unusual.  Most places are required to pay in now for their current
employees so their pensions will be funded when they retire.

What's different about the Post Office is that they're required to pre-fund
for 75 years.  Yes, you read that right - they need to pay in *now* for
the pension fund of mail carriers who won't even be born for another decade.

> Education continues to not know where billions of dollars goes each
> year... Yet, in contrast, Enron execs in are jail and Enron is no longer
> in existence

So where are all the arrests and convictions for the mortgage games and
other Wall Street malfeasance that led to the financial crisis of 2008?
Seems that was a tad more egregious than anything Enron did, so there should
have been more arrests and convictions?