Looking for success stories in Qwest/Centurylink land

david peahi davidpeahi at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 21:57:21 UTC 2013

My experience with one of the big 2 telcos in the USA is unbelievable even
now looking back a few months:

1. at my key network monitoring site telco Northern Telecom (before NT
changed their name to Nortel) SONET equipment circa 1995 kept failing,
taking legacy circuits down hard.
2. Escalating the problem to the account team resulted in their maintaining
that there were no SONET alarms at the telco monitoring site, so nothing
could be done.
3. At the 4th  SONET outage, the telco discovered that the Northern Telecom
alarm component had failed which explained why there were no alarms for the
previous outages.
4. Despite all of the outages to a key location, the telco took 8 months to
replace the NT equipment with modern MSPP equipment. During job walks with
the telco, the telco OSP engineers insisted that the NT equipment was still
good since "it is still working", and tried to talk me out of insisting
that they upgrade their NT equipment.

The above anecdote is typical in my experience with the telcos, and
underscores the need for a national broadband buildout in the USA, funded
and run by the Federal Government, based upon the Australian National
Broadband Network model. The USA telcos have had their chance, in my
opinion, now is the time for them to get out of the way.

Here is a link to the Australian National Broadband site, describing how
the existing telco-owned copper network will be "switched off":

http://www.nbn.gov.au/2012/12/03/did-you-know-that-our-copper-network-is-being-switched-off/

David

On Mon, Jan 28, 2013 at 11:48 AM, Constantine A. Murenin <mureninc at gmail.com