IPV6 in enterprise best practices/white papaers

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sat Jan 26 17:47:29 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jan 26, 2013 at 4:26 AM, Pavel Dimow <paveldimow at gmail.com> wrote:
> I can start to create
> AAAA record and PTR recors in DNS and after that I should configure my
> dhcp servers and after all has been done I can test ipv6 in LAN and
> after that I can start configure bgp with ISP.
> Is this correct procedure?

Nope.

In their infinite(simal) wisdom the architects of IPv6 determined that
a host configured with both a global scope IPv6 address and an IPv4
address will attempt IPv6 in preference to IPv4. If you configure IPv6
on a LAN without first installing your IPv6 Internet connection, that
LAN will break horribly.

Work your way from the outside in: start with BGP, then the interior
routers and configure the LAN last.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

Falls Church, VA 22042-3004