Suggestions for the future on your web site: (was cookies, and

David Barak thegameiam at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 24 17:33:19 UTC 2013

--- On Thu, 1/24/13, Andrew Sullivan <asullivan at dyn.com> wrote:
> Lately, AFAICT, most CAPTCHAs have
> been so
> successfully attacked by wgetters that they're quite easy
> for machines
> to break, but difficult for humans to use.  For
> example, I can testify
> that I now fail about 25% of the reCAPTCHA challenges I
> perform,
> because the images are so distorted I just can't make them
> out (it's
> much worse on my mobile, given the combination if its small
> screen and
> my middle-aged eyes).
>
> So it's now more like airport security: a big hassle for
> the
> legitimate users but not really much of a barrier for a
> real
> attacker.  A poor trade-off.

+1000

I routinely fail CAPTCHAs, and am certainly less accurate than a decent machine at the OCR required.  Those of us whose eyes don't correct to 20/20 would greatly appreciate some other form of "slow down the spammers" than this.

David Barak
Need Geek Rock?  Try The Franchise:
http://www.listentothefranchise.com