Slashdot: UK ISP PlusNet Testing Carrier-Grade NAT Instead of IPv6

Jamie Bowden jamie at photon.com
Tue Jan 22 13:07:27 UTC 2013

> From: Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu [mailto:Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu]
> On Fri, 18 Jan 2013 09:03:31 -0500, William Herrin said:

> > On the technical side, enterprises have been doing large-scale NAT
> for
> > more than a decade now without any doomsday consequences. CGN is not
> > different.

> Corporate enterprises have been pushing GPO to the desktop for more
> than a decade as well.  Feel free to try to push GPO to Joe Sixpack's
> PC,
> let me know how that works out for you.

We don't even do NAT here.  Our corporate parent has PI space that they've had since the Jurassic period of the internet and we mostly live on that (there are spots of 1918 addresses, but not for NAT purposes, think temporary networks in lab spaces).  Access to the internet at large is all via proxy, there is no direct way out.

Jamie