Suggestions for the future on your web site: (was cookies, and before that Re: Dreamhost hijacking my prefix...)

john jbond at ripe.net
Thu Jan 17 10:51:33 UTC 2013

On 1/16/13 8:36 PM, Shrdlu wrote:
> On 1/16/2013 9:40 AM, john wrote:
>
>> I took a look at this site and unfortunately the use of cookies is very
>> ingrained into the code.  Removing the requirement breaks all
>> functionality of www.ris.ripe.net and changing the functionality would
>> require a rewrite of the site.
>
> Sooner or later, you'll get to a place where you consider a major
> update, and perhaps then you'll consider emulating NANOG's site. However...
just for clarity, i believe that the issues with requiring cookies only
affects www.ris.ripe.net and not the entire *.ripe.net site(s).  Im not
one of the developers however i believe they endeavour to keep the use
of cookies to a minimum with current and future development.

> I was curious, and I went to look at it. Please consider using some
> other color than lovely amber yellow you've chosen. It's very pretty,
> and exhausting to look at for any length of time. I'm a HUGE fan of gray
> scales, and of text. I see that you want a cookie when I want to look at
> one of the videos, but blocking it doesn't hurt me. Here's where you did
> something right. The video plays on my (pretty old) Firefox, which has
> no Flash (hooray!).
>
> The cookie stays around for a YEAR (if I let it), and has the following
> stuff:
>
> Name: stat-csrftoken
> Content: 7f12a95b8e274ab940287407a14fc348
> Host: stat.ripe.net
> Send For: Any type of connection
> Expires: Wednesday, January 15, 2014 11:29:34 AM
>
> To your credit, you only ask once, but you ought to ask zero times.
>
> The site's not bad, but please consider changing the yellow to black.
> Less beauty, more utility.

Thank you for this feedback, i'll pass it onto to the developers.

Regards
John