Netflow Nfsen Server Hardware

Tim Calvin tcalvin at tlsn.net
Wed Jan 16 22:51:11 UTC 2013

We are looking to purchase a new server for Netflow exports. This will mainly be used to evaluate our transit bandwidth for potential peering opportunities. A long data retention is not a high priority.

Our combined transit bandwidth is around 6 Gbps and increasing all the time.

Looking to get a sanity check on the server hardware required. We will be using Nfsen as the collector.

Would one of the below configurations be okay to handle such as task? If not, does anyone have any other recommendations.

Thanks in advance.

Tim

PowerEdge R610 -

    2x Intel E5540, 2.53GHz Quad Core Processor

    32GB RAM

    2x 300gb 10k 2.5" SAS HDD

    PERC6i RAID Controller

    iDRAC6 Enterprise

    Redundant Power Supply

    ReadyRails

PowerEdge R610 -

    2x Intel E5540, 2.53GHz Quad Core Processor

    64GB RAM

    6x 300gb 10k 2.5" SAS HDD

    PERC6i RAID Controller

    iDRAC6 Enterprise