RIPE cookies [was]: Dreamhost hijacking my prefix...

Scott Weeks surfer at mauigateway.com
Wed Jan 16 19:12:21 UTC 2013

--- jbond at ripe.net wrote:
From: john <jbond at ripe.net>
----- On 1/11/13 8:28 PM, Scott Weeks wrote: -----
> RIPE needs to fix on their web site:
> "Please turn on the cookies on your browser to view this site."
> It doesn't have to be this way...

I took a look at this site and unfortunately the use of cookies is very
ingrained into the code.  Removing the requirement breaks all
functionality of www.ris.ripe.net and changing the functionality would
require a rewrite of the site.  Our intention is that
http://stat.ripe.net/ will replace all functionality currently under
www.ris.ripe.net.  If RIPEstat doesn't provide the functionality you are
looking for, please request it by emailing us at stat at ripe.net.

Hi john,

First, thank you for responding.  Second, what a bummer that RIPE's
code was written that way in the first place.  If it's done that
way in stat.ripe.net as well, I (and others who are security-minded)
will never get to use your site.  Maybe give "brian at merit" a holler
before writing stat.ripe.net in such a way that one MUST allow cookies
just to look at the site.  Maybe it's too late already. :-(  I haven't
looked, yet...

scott