OOB core router connectivity wish list

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sun Jan 13 08:12:02 UTC 2013

On Sat, 12 Jan 2013, Matthew Petach wrote:

> Thank goodness ethernet never has problems with negotiation going awry,
> and coming up with mismatched duplexes, and vendors never had to
> implement "no negotiation-auto" in their configs because you couldn't
> count on everyone's implementations working together just absolutely
> perfectly the first time on bootup.  Yes, it sure is a good thing
> ethernet never has issues like that which would cripple your ability to
> get a box up and running at 2am.

Has this happened to you with equipment designed and manufactured the past
5 years?

For me this was a problem with equipment released around 2000, since
2005-2007 or so I haven't seen a single problem that I can recall.

I blame part of this problem on Cisco who was especially bad at handling
autoneg. I remember in 1998 when we couldn't even get link up between a
100 meg LE interface on a Sun and a (I believe) 3500XL. We had to use a
hub in between to get link at all. Even worse, different port blocks on
the 3500XL behaved differently.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se