OOB core router connectivity wish list

Walter Keen walter.keen at rainierconnect.net
Sat Jan 12 00:22:28 UTC 2013

In the US, any incumbent phone carrier (ILEC), is required to have POTS lines on a power infrastructure capable of sustaining at least an 8 hour interruption in commercial power, whether it's in a remote or central office. Most companies use batteries at remotes (and put portable generators out when needed) and have permanent generators at central offices

I know this is not the exact wording, but in the US at least, it's required by the FCC. I can't remember if competitive local exchange carriers (CLEC) have the same requirements.

Your local carrier may or may not be in compliance with having (battery/generator) there to sustain 8 hours of operation, and I doubt they would tell you details of their power systems.