OOB core router connectivity wish list

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Jan 10 18:33:27 UTC 2013

On (2013-01-10 11:52 -0600), Charles N Wyble wrote:

> I have every device hooked to this. Pdus, routers, switches, vm, storage servers.  That allows me to get console and power cycle every device.
>
> What more would I want? Dialup means I need to be in a place I can hook up a modem. Not too many of those. If I make a configuration mistake,  need to reboot a box etc, I want to be able to access my kit from anywhere with ip connectivity.

If you fuck up your JunOS/IOS install and box does not have working image
anymore, you need to go on-site.
Otherwise you're pretty much there. But you've paid good money for the
setup, especially the powercycle is expensive and introduces another place
where power feed can break down.

Cyclades is very good RS232 console server, supports multiplexing and maybe
even persistent logging of console messages (to read what router puked out,
before it hard crashed).

Having ILO/DRAC/vPro style port (CMP in cisco) in your router, you'd get
all this and more, cheaper.

--
  ++ytti