OOB core router connectivity wish list

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Jan 10 17:36:29 UTC 2013

On (2013-01-10 12:08 -0500), Jared Mauch wrote:

> Not sure about you, but I've used the ability for a POTS line to either ring or give me a modem tone to determine the power status at the site.

So the modem is not PSTN powered, so if it responds, pop must be powered?
Wouldn't any old CPE on any access have same benefit, except you could ping
it.
However this has again nothing to do with the RS232 onband/eth oob on the
router, you can still have your modem just fine and run the ETH OOB over
it. Keeping any value you today extract from PSTN.

Personally, I'd really love to see dying gasp over SNMP trap for powerloss.
I was really happy when I saw ME3400 and ME3400E difference list 'dying
gasp', but turns out it's some EOAM stuff which I didn't bother figuring
out how to get all the way to NMS.
Dying gasp trap to NMS would be neat way to see immediately in monitoring
that box is down, due to losing electricity, can exclude many possible
fault reasons right there.

--
  ++ytti