OOB core router connectivity wish list

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Thu Jan 10 14:56:07 UTC 2013

On (2013-01-10 09:35 -0500), Christopher Morrow wrote:

> I don't think you can get ethernet and transport out-of-the-area in
> some places at a reasonable cost, so having serial-console I think is
> still a requirement.

I don't understand this point.
Where does your RS232 port go? It goes to Console server in POP, which is
ethernet connected?
At least this is how vast majority to do it, maybe you have CON2AUX between
neighbouring devices, then you could have OOB ETH to ETH between
neighbouring devices.

Console server costs more than ethernet switch, so it's actually cheaper to
do it right.

--
  ++ytti