OOB core router connectivity wish list

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu Jan 10 13:51:04 UTC 2013

On Jan 9, 2013, at 11:18 AM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

>> [P1]: It should be possible to transfer data using tftp, ftp and scp (ftp
>> client on the OOB device, scp being used to transfer data *to* the device
>> (OOB being scp server).
>
> For security and performance reasons, FTP has no place in a modern
> network. If you're still using it anywhere, you're borrowing grief.
> Replace with an http/https client.
>
> TFTP has such a strong legacy of use on routers that its presence
> remains just barely tolerable. For now.

We have encountered cases where a vendor TFTP implementation + latency from the ROMMON can take a few hours to load images.  I'm for ditching TFTP and replacing it with HTTP.  This forces them to put in a TCP stack, and hopefully something that can window-scale and deal with the latency vs 'wait for block', ok, req next block..

The testers involved in their labs are never loading an image from 1600km away so don't get to enjoy this 'fun'.

- Jared