[SHAME] Spam Rats

John Levine johnl at iecc.com
Thu Jan 10 05:34:29 UTC 2013

>No point.  address -> name -> address doesn't work with wildcards.
>
>> (Still an IPv6 implementation virgin, just curious :) )

If you want to do generic IPv6 rDNS for all your hosts, you're
stuck with a variety of less than great possibilities.

One is a stunt rDNS server that synthesizes the records on demand.
(Bonus points for doing DNSSEC, too. Double bonus points for doing
NSEC3.)  Another is instrumenting the routers so that when they notice
a new host on their network, they somehow send an update to the DNS
servers to install rDNS for that host.

If I had to guess, I would say that we'll eventually agree than on
IPv6 networks, mail servers and other hosts who have reputations that
matter will have fixed addresses assigned statically or via DHCP and
rDNS, random client hosts won't.  Teeth will gnash at how this makes
some hosts second class and it violates the end to end principle, but
tough noogies.

R's,
John