[SHAME] Spam Rats

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Thu Jan 10 03:30:09 UTC 2013

On Thu, 10 Jan 2013, Julian DeMarchi wrote:

> Customers use the range. They had a complaint to us that the IP was
> listed by spamrats and thus the issue made it to my queue.

That frequently just means they've subscribed to one of the monitoring
services that notifies you if your IPs have turned up on any DNSBL the
monitoring service has ever heard of, sometimes including ones that have
been shut down, domain snatched up by speculators, and wildcard A record
installed pointing at an ads landing page.

> Mail servers do need to have PTRs, but it is my _choice_ if my hosts
> that do not send mail have PTRs or not. I would not expect anyone to
> block my /24 for lack of PTRs on non-mail-sending hosts.

If they're not mail servers, how is the DNSBL listing impacting them
(assuming anyone even uses spamrats)?

  Jon Lewis, MCP :)           |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |