OOB core router connectivity wish list

tglassey tglassey at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 9 17:54:13 UTC 2013

On 1/9/2013 9:12 AM, Leo Bicknell wrote:
> I think this list goes too far, and has a decent chance of introducing
> other fun failure modes as a result.  The goal of OOB is generally
> to gain control of a "misbehaving" device.  Now, misbehaving can
> take many forms, from the device actually being ok and all of it's
> circuits going down (fiber cut isolating it), to the device being
> very much not ok with a bad linecard trying to lock up the bus,
> core dumps, etc.
>
> I'm going to pick on one specific example:
>
> In a message written on Wed, Jan 09, 2013 at 03:37:16PM +0100, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:
>> [P1]: Powercycle the RP, switchfabrics and linecards (hard, as in they
>> might be totally dead and I want to cut power to it via the back plane.
>> Also useful for FPGA upgrades).
> Most Cisco high end devices can do this today from the CLI (test
> mbus power off on a GSR, for example).  Let's consider what it would
> take to move that functionality from the live software to some sort
> of "etherent oob" as proposed...

Install an Embedded Peer (a Bus Level Peering Card like a SlotServer or
the Fuji Module and provide console level access through the peer. Then
the Peer itself becomes the controller interface.

Todd

--
Regards TSG
"Ex-Cruce-Leo"

//Confidential Mailing - Please destroy this if you are not the intended recipient.