OOB core router connectivity wish list

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Wed Jan 9 17:39:28 UTC 2013

On Wed, 9 Jan 2013, Leo Bicknell wrote:

> of the device, not unlike an IPMI device on a server.  Using IPMI

IPMI is exactly what we're going for.

> In this ideal world, the deployment model is simple.  A small OOB
> device would be deployed (think like a Cisco 1900, or Juniper SRX
> 220), connected to a separate network (DSL, cable modem, cell modem,
> ethernet to some other provider, or gasp, even an old school analog
> modem).  Each large router would get an ethernet port and usb console
> to that device.  SSH to the right port would get the USB console,
> ideally with the 2-4 consoles exposed where hitting the same port just
> cycles through them.

This is added cost and complexity. Sometimes there is only 1-2 devices in
the pop, and now there is need to install a serial console router with DC
(limits options) just to connect to the serial console, which might not
work anyway because the control plane might be so screwed up that it
actually needs power cycling.

So I want to retire serial ports in the front to be needed for normal
operation. Look at the XR devices from Cisco for instance. For "normal
maintenance" you pretty much require both serial console (to do rommon
stuff one would imagine shouldn't be needed) and also mgmt ethernet (to
use tftp for downloading software when you need to turbo-boot because the
system is now screwed up because the XR developer ("install") team messed
up the SMUs *again*).

For instance, if you have single RP the upgrade instructions for 4.2.1
lists going into rommon and doing "boot -s", *or* power cycling the box,
after FPGA upgrade.

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se