10 Mbit/s problem in your network

Constantine A. Murenin mureninc at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 05:53:38 UTC 2013

On 26 February 2013 20:03, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:
> [...]

Brand new Hyatt Place in NorCal, less than 2 years old, Fast Ethernet
in every room:

This is a smokeping of their SureWest (ADSL or FFTH) connection, all
within NorCal, ~20ms latency on a good millisecond:

http://www.dslreports.com/r3/smokeping.cgi?target=network.9b37669cada3f00d348b647453067844.CA1
(half-second latency is common, above 1s latency is not unheard of)

This is a smokeping of their AT&T (T1?), which seems to be only
marginally better, but on a good millisecond, it's only 10ms:

http://www.dslreports.com/r3/smokeping.cgi?target=network.bb79d93501996d88968e851234250c6a.CA1

Time on the graph is in dslr timezone (ET), not in hotel's time (PT),
but the trends are pretty obvious.

Now.  Good luck typing and then editing that that rm -rf in your ssh!
Or picking up that conference call through a VPN.

C.