10 Mbit/s problem in your network

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Feb 27 03:57:44 UTC 2013

On Feb 26, 2013, at 6:49 PM, Jay Ashworth <jra at baylink.com> wrote:

> [...]

In fact, many of the hotels that have solved this intelligently have simply
placed DSLAMs in the phone room and run DSL to each room with
a relatively inexpensive (especially when you buy 500 of them at a time)
DSL modem in each room. Some also have wifi, some have wifi in the room
from the DSL modem, but in most cases, these have been among the
best functioning solutions in some of the larger properties.

> Plus they have more corporate inertia in actually getting it done.

Hyatt does a consistently better job of this than Hilton in my experience.
Same with Motel 6.

I would expect them to have roughly equivalent corporate inertia.

> Or, they just don't care.  They don't have to.  They're... oh, never mind.

I think this is the larger factor, yes.

Owen