BGP RIB Collection

chip chip.gwyn at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 17:24:00 UTC 2013

Hello all,

  I have an application that needs to gather BGP RIB data from the routers
that connect to all of our upstream providers.  Basically I need to know
all the routes available from a particular provider.  Currently I'm
gathering this data via SNMP.  While this works it has its draw backs, it
takes approximately 20 minutes per view, its nowhere near real-time, and
I'm unable to gather information for IPv6.  SNMP, however, is faster than
screen scraping.  All of the XML based access methods seem to take about
the same time as well.

  I've been watching, with keen interest, the i2rs ietf workings, but the
project is still in its infancy.  BMP seems to be a good solution but I've
not found a working client implementation yet.  I see that you can actually
configure this on some Juniper gear but I can't seem to locate a client to
ingest the data the router produces.  The BGP Add Paths implementation
seems to be the best choice at the moment and exabgp has a working
implementation.

Are there any other technologies or methods of accessing this data that
I've missed or that you've found useful?

Thanks!

--chip

--
Just my $.02, your mileage may vary,  batteries not included, etc....