SDN - Killer Apps

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Mon Feb 25 10:10:56 UTC 2013

On (2013-02-25 13:53 +0530), Glen Kent wrote:

> I understand that this is just some bit of what we can do with SDN. The
> amount of what all can be done is limitless. So, a question to all out
> there - Is my understanding of what can be achieved with SDN, is correct?

Frankly I don't think there is single answer.

>From my point of view I don't see much use for it as general purpose SP.
Already second most common reason to outage is software defect, SDN will
just reduce software MTBF and can potentially break lot really fast.
I don't want to run some HP OV SDNd magic black box process deciding what
happens to the network and I don't have the resources (or motivation) to
custom develop the software.

For researcher it seems really invaluable, you can test new protocols in
real equipment.

For GOOG/FB et.al. I can also see value, as I imagine their software stack
is already very specialized, very home-grown. SDN can allow them to tie in
network to their current VM/service orchestration tools, essentially making
sure network and services share synchronous view of what should happen.

--
  ++ytti