looking for terminology recommendations concerning non-rooted FQDNs

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Sat Feb 23 13:36:08 UTC 2013

For what it is worth I argued for removal of support for partially
qualified domain names when looking at resolving the issues in RFC
1535.  "ndots" was the compromise.

I also argued for searches stopping on nodata responses.

I felt and continue to feel both of these are security issues.  If
RFC 1535 came up today I believe that different decisions may have
been made but give the political climate at the time that was the
best I could get.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: marka at isc.org