looking for terminology recommendations concerning non-rooted FQDNs

Brian Reichert reichert at numachi.com
Fri Feb 22 22:56:23 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 22, 2013 at 05:46:27PM -0500, Jay Ashworth wrote:
> So, should browsers send absolute host names in http/1.1 requests, and shouldn't servers strip the trailing dot if they get one?
>
> I vote No and Yes, resp.

The first question is tough, only because of the depth of the
exatblished convention.  I think I would argue 'Yes', as to remove
ambiguity, but that naively makes a lot of legacy software trip in
unexpected ways.

As for the second question, I generally disapprove of throwing away
information, so I say No.

Clearly I like to make trouble for myself. :)

--
Brian Reichert				<reichert at numachi.com>
BSD admin/developer at large