NYT covers China cyberthreat

Kyle Creyts kyle.creyts at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 10:25:54 UTC 2013

The focus on platform here is ridiculous; can someone explain how
platform of attacker or target is extremely relevant? Since when did
people fail to see that we have plenty of inter-platform tools and
services, and plenty of tools for either platform built with the
express purpose of interaction with the other? Just because you
learned to code/operate on/for/with/from a *nix doesn't mean that
teams of Chinese coders can't make a tool that gets the job done
on/for/with/from a Windows box. Many people write many softwares of
diverse purpose and use for many platforms. Platform is, as far as I
can tell, moot in this discussion. Feel free to enlighten me.

Consider the US's indignation over the targeting of civillian or
corporate intellectual property and the shifting of reality from
preconceived expectation. I have had it explained to me as a purely
ideological difference between the US and China. Simply put: just
because we might find it immoral for state-sponsored espionage to feed
stolen IP into the private sector, doesn't mean that China will feel
the same; to some, it is perceived as nationalistic, another way the
government helps to strengthen the nation.

For another example of this, an acquaintance once told me about the
process of getting internationally standardized technologies approved
for deployment in China; the process that was described to me involved
giving China the standards-based spec that had been drafted and
approved, being told that for deployment, they would have to improve
upon it in a laundry list of ways to bring it some 5-10 years ahead of
the spec, and THEN it would be allowed to be deployed.

Whenever you have enough new players, or the game goes on long enough,
the rules end up changing.

--
Kyle Creyts

Information Assurance Professional