NYT covers China cyberthreat

calin.chiorean calin.chiorean at secdisk.net
Thu Feb 21 08:28:32 UTC 2013

::This all seems to be noobie stuff. There's nothing technically cool
::to see here

You mean the report or the activity?

You seem "upset" that they are using M$ only(target and source). They steal data!!! From whom to steal? From a guru that spend minimum 8 hours a day in from of *nix?
Why to put so much effort to steal information from that guy, when there are thousands of people out there with vulnerable and easy to break M$.

They aren't looking to do something cool, but just a regular, plain old thief stuff.  Targeting M$ users if easy, involve less resources and it's "business" profitable. You need to look at this action from business perspective.

IMO, why to spend hours to break something (like *nix systems) that you don't even know if it contains valuable information. This is more like sniffing around to find something useful and not targeting exact system.

Somebody here mentioned that this unit is not their top unit. I'm sure that it's not. Maybe it was meant to be found.

Cheers,
Calin

---- On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 01:29:48 +0100 Scott Weeks  wrote ----