NYT covers China cyberthreat

Suresh Ramasubramanian ops.lists at gmail.com
Thu Feb 21 01:20:23 UTC 2013

Net net - what we have here is, so far, relatively low tech exploits with a
huge element of brute force, and the only innovation being in the delivery
mechanism - very well crafted spear phishes

They don't particularly need to hide in a location where they're literally
bulletproof (considering how many crimes have the death penalty in china,
said penalty being enforced by a bullet to the head and your family billed
for the bullet, if I remember correctly)

Now there's a light shone on it all, despite the official denial, you'll
simply see this office building shift to an even more anonymous business
park halfway across the country (or maybe inside an army base that people
just can't wander into and photograph), and the exploits will simply start
to cover their traces better.

Sure they'll evolve - let them.  The point here is that they're going to
evolve anyway if we let them operate with impunity from a location where
they're bulletproof.

--srs

--
--srs (iPad)