Network security on multiple levels (was Re: NYT covers China cyberthreat)

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Feb 20 19:18:29 UTC 2013

Many DACS have provision for "monitoring" circuits and feeding the data
off to a third circuit in an undetectable manner.

The DACS question wasn't about DACS owned by the people using the
circuit, it was about DACS inside the circuit provider. When you buy a
DS1 that goes through more than one CO in between two points, you're
virtually guaranteed that it goes through one or more of {DS-3 Mux,
Fiber Mux, DACS, etc.}. All of these are under the control of the circuit
provider and not you.

Owen