Can the L1 provider offer L2 services?

Mikael Abrahamsson swmike at swm.pp.se
Sat Feb 16 04:59:24 UTC 2013

On Fri, 15 Feb 2013, Jay Ashworth wrote:

> That's orthogonal to the question as we discussed it before, though,
> which is what I've adjusted the title to here: I don't see that there is
> a bar to competition if a *municipal* L1 provider offers L2 service, as
> long as they offer that service to all comers, at the same, published,
> cost-recovery rates, including themselves.

I agree with this, *but* they should also offer L1 services. Most
commonly, they end up doing L2 and then L1 isn't available.

The last people in Sweden to get IPv6 is most likely going to be the
active municipality network customers, because they need to fix their
stuff before the ISP can offer anything (this is because it's ethernet
based on L2 and security functions need to exist in the L2 access
equipment).

If someone says PPPoE is better because of this, please mind that these
networks commonly offer speeds up to 500 megabit/s or 1gigabit/s per user.
:P

Mikael Abrahamsson    email: swmike at swm.pp.se