bgp for ipv6 question

John Osmon josmon at rigozsaurus.com
Fri Feb 15 04:21:39 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 07:58:10AM +1100, Karl Auer wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-02-14 at 08:08 -0500, Jared Mauch wrote:
> > I recommend keeping your network as congruent between IPv4 and IPv6 as possible, with dual-stack.
>
> Why?

I asked a similar question a few years ago:
   http://seclists.org/nanog/2007/Aug/653

Most of the answers came back along the lines of "keep your routing
boundaries congruent."  Doing so makes documentation and troubleshooting
simpler -- having non-congruent boundaries is more complex and error
prone.

However, if a network you're running calls for non-congruency -- go for
it!  Just be cognizant of the trade offs.