Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

Edward Dore edward.dore at freethought-internet.co.uk
Wed Feb 13 17:30:01 UTC 2013

Sadly, despite this being challenged with both the telecoms regulator (Ofcom) and advertising watchdog (ASA), for some reason both seem pretty happy with the utter farce that is advertising BT/OpenReach's VDSL based Fibre To The Cabinet and Virgin Media's Hybrid Fibre Coax networks as "fibre optic broadband".

We have a very small amount of Fibre To The Home/Fibre To The Premise being deployed by BT/Openreach using some kind of PON technology, but I'm not sure which variant off-hand.

We were supposed to be getting FTTP where I live last March, but for some reason BT silently scrapped that plan and now we are getting FTTC this March apparently... I'm not going to hold my breath though!

Edward Dore
Freethought Internet