IPv6 support by wifi systems

Brandon Ross bross at pobox.com
Tue Feb 12 21:29:53 UTC 2013

On Wed, 13 Feb 2013, Karl Auer wrote:

> The switch then knows what listeners are where, so when for example an
> NS is sent to the solicited node multicast address of a target during
> ND, the switch can send it only to those hosts it knows are listeners on
> that group.

Okay, so then to answer my own question from earlier, the answer is
actually that an MLD is sent when an interface configures a new address to
join the appropriate solicited node multicast group.  It seems that, then,
MLD snooping is valuable as it will prevent DAD and other ND traffic from
using bandwidth towards hosts not in that group.

Other than solicited node multicast, is MLD used anywhere else in a
network that does not have layer 3 multicast enabled on a router?

--
Brandon Ross                                      Yahoo & AIM:  BrandonNRoss
+1-404-635-6667                                                ICQ:  2269442