Muni fiber: L1 or L2?

Scott Helms khelms at zcorum.com
Tue Feb 12 18:13:20 UTC 2013

> If the L1 provider's responsibility ends at the jack on the outside NIU,
> as an ILEC's does today with copper, then you have clean separation and
> easy access for both initial installation and for later
> troubleshooting--clear benefits that help mitigate nearly all the
> problems Scott refers to, at least from the L1 provider's perspective.

Stephen, I'd say this is much less clean in my experience than you're
describing.  In fact, I'd say that operationally its downright problematic
in many territories and not improving.  So if this is the model if how it
should be done I think we have a long way to go before doing it in a FTTx
world is remotely economical.  Now, this isn't a problem in all territories
or operators but it is common as dirt.

--
Scott Helms
Vice President of Technology