The 100 Gbit/s problem in your network

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Tue Feb 12 16:20:02 UTC 2013

On Feb 12, 2013, at 01:06 , Doug Barton <dougb at dougbarton.us> wrote:
> On 02/11/2013 03:52 PM, Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:

>> One of us has a different dictionary than everyone else.
>
> I'm not sure it's different dictionaries, I think you're talking past each other.

No, it's definitely different dictionaries.

I am purposely staying out of the whole multicast vs. CDN vs. set-top caching vs. $RANDOM_TECHNOLOGY thing.  I was concentrating sole on one point - that the long tail "is _by definition_ a tiny fraction of total demand" (Stephen's emphasis).

The long tail might be a fraction, or it might be a majority of the traffic.  Depends on the use case.  Important to remember this discussing the pros & cons of each protocol / approach.

As for the rest, time will tell.  But it's fun to watch the discussion, especially by people who have never attempted any of what they are espousing. :)  Hey, sometimes that's where the best ideas come up - people who don't know what is impossible are not constrained!

--
TTFN,
patrick