Any experience with Grandstream VoIP equipment ?

John R. Levine johnl at iecc.com
Tue Feb 12 05:32:58 UTC 2013

Man is this strange: when I set my DHCP server to assign the Sipura box a
fixed IP address, the VoIP box didn't work.  When I let it assign an
address out of the pool, it did work.  Same device, same LAN, same /24
subnet, same ISC DHCP server.  The Sipura has a web server, so I could
confirm that in both cases the IP, subnet mask, DNS, and gateway were what
the DHCP server assigned.

I also have a more modern Linksys 2102 configured by a VoIP provider, same
DHCP strangeness. Beats me.

Regards,

On Mon, 11 Feb 2013, Travis Mikalson wrote:

> John Levine wrote:
>>> As another reference point, I really liked the sipura atas, they were my
>>> personal favorite as far as the gear we used. I don't know how well that
>>> translates to after the linksys takeover though, as I haven't done voice
>>> gear in a few years.
>>
>> Got a Sipura SPA-1001, can't get it to work, similar issues.
>>
>> I found that my router had SIP ALG turned on, turned it off,
>> now the Grandstream mostly works.  Sigh.  Didn't help the
>> Sipura, though.
>
> If behind NAT: On the sipura/linksys ATA, admin login, switch to
> advanced view, SIP tab. Ensure the following "NAT Support Parameters"
> are enabled.
> Handle VIA received, Handle VIA report, Insert VIA received, Insert VIA
> rport, Substitute VIA Addr, Send Resp To Src Port. I never use a STUN
> server, I've found it causes too much delay in answering a call.
>
> It might be in a slightly different place than described above on the
> newer SPA-1001/112, but the options are the same.

Regards,