The 100 Gbit/s problem in your network

Ryan Malayter malayter at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 04:46:56 UTC 2013

You're missing the entire point: all web caches *already* work with
DASH and the proprietary HTTP chunking flavors. It's just HTTP request/response
data.

My employer's statistics show this to be true; we do video for
compliance training
and we see massive benefit from local caches in our customer's
networks. We send a cache-enabled customer site each video chunk just
about once on average, and their cache takes care of distribution to
up to thousands of internal viewers.

HTTP chunk streaming works today with Silverlight/Flash/Quicktime
plugins, and there is a working prototype of the standardized DASH
that use only an modern web browser and JavaScript with no plug-ins:
http://dash-mse-test.appspot.com/dash-player.html