The 100 Gbit/s problem in your network

Scott Helms khelms at zcorum.com
Mon Feb 11 20:01:21 UTC 2013

> Multicast _is_ useful for filling the millions of DVRs out there with
> broadcast programs and for live events (eg. sports).  A smart VOD system
> would have my DVR download the entire program from a local cache--and
> then play it locally as with anything else I watch.  Those caches could
> be populated by multicast as well, at least for popular content.  The
> long tail would still require some level of unicast distribution, but
> that is _by definition_ a tiny fraction of total demand.

This is true but you should probably define your network size.  I don't see
many/any independents doing this because of the cost of the boxes and
dealing with the content providers.  If you're a large MSO (say top 15)
then I can see it with today's technology, but even those guys seem to be
moving in other directions to get out of the provider controlled set top
box model.

--
Scott Helms
Vice President of Technology