Micro Trenching for Fiber Optic Deployment

Adrian choprboy at dakotacom.net
Mon Feb 11 19:01:16 UTC 2013

On Monday 11 February 2013 11:34, david peahi wrote:
> Does anyone have experience in running fiber optic cable with
> micro-trenching techniques in areas where there is no existing asphalt or
> concrete roadway, just packed earth and rock? Environmental limitations do
> not allow for constructing an aerial power pole alignment, or underground
> ductbank. The distance is about 10 kM.

My best guess is that you would want to use directional boring in that case. A
small hole every couple hundred meters, horizontal bore and duct pullback
between holes. No personal experience here other than watching it being done
for new pulls into existing developments. No need for digging up
yards/sidewalks/parking lots, just a bunch of potholes at the new junction
box locations and a single horizontal bore down the property line from the
street, intercepting each of the potholes.

Adrian